Something we long suspected at StartHerUp and was confirmed by the Dow Jones Study described in Women at the Wheel, Do Female Executives Drive StartUp Success: “We [Dow Jones] also see that a company’s odds for success (versus unsuccess) increase with more female executives at the VP and director levels.”
- 1.3% of privately held companies have a female founder, 6.5% have a female CEO, and 20% have one or more female C-level executives.
- The most common positions held by female executives were within Sales & Marketing roles.
- The overall median proportion of female executives is 7.1% at successful companies and 3.1% at unsuccessful companies, demonstrating the value that having more females can potentially bring to a management team.
- By industry, the median proportion of female executives at successful companies is higher than that of unsuccessful companies.
- For start-ups with five or more females, 61% were successful and only 39% failed.